A Colorado Summer

This summer, fresh out of college with my bachelor's degree, I took a position with the Nature Conservancy in Colorado. The internship is on a 100,000 acre cattle and bison ranch located in the San Luis Valley. The ranch is nestled between the mountains and only 15 minutes from the Sand Dunes here. It should be an interesting summer before I head off to California in search of permanent employment. Stay tuned....

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

2 Great Roommates!



These are my two ranch roomies. Blake is a ranch hand and jack of all trades here on the ranch. They work him pretty hard! He was the weed intern here last summer (my current position) and they asked him to stay on. He is quiet but friendly, and a really good cook. He also beat me and Brian at horseshoes!
Carl is the craziest cat. He loves to cuddle up on your lap during the day but at night he goes outside and preys on the wildlife. Every morning we awake to dead carcass presents at our front door. One morning his cache of gifts included an adult bunny he had decapitated, 2 pack rats, and a small mole. No kidding. Doesn't look like a killing machine, does he?

5 Comments:

  • At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    this is a very good photo of carl the cat. do you have one at home.
    i am missing jen's cat jack who of course moved with her when she got her own apartment. she would bring him up for the summer and part of the fall so he could enjoy the great outdoors, but was missing him so much she got another cat. so far she has kept jack with her this summer.

     
  • At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i"m woried about carl being out at night. are there coyotes around...they will kill housecats.

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger Nichole Baker said…

    I am worried about Carl too. I plead with Blake every night not to let him out. You can hear the coyotes from the house and they sound quite numerous! I have two cats at home. They are my babies and I will be sad to leave them behind when we head to California!

     
  • At 6:21 AM, Blogger Brian Kelley said…

    I would be more worried about the coyotes than Carl. He seems like he can take care of himself pretty well. I wouldn't be surprised if he brought a coyote carcass home for blake some morning.

     
  • At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know that I am really late on this comment but that cat is so cute. I think that he can hold his own..... Go Carl!!!!!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home