A Colorado Summer

This summer, fresh out of college with my bachelor's degree, I took a position with the Nature Conservancy in Colorado. The internship is on a 100,000 acre cattle and bison ranch located in the San Luis Valley. The ranch is nestled between the mountains and only 15 minutes from the Sand Dunes here. It should be an interesting summer before I head off to California in search of permanent employment. Stay tuned....

Friday, June 09, 2006

New Life

I went hiking through Mosca Pass last weekend. It is a beautiful 7 mile trek through the Sangre De Cristo Wilderness, teaming with new life. I had several of these little guys on my arm at one point as their were so many cocoons that they were hard to avoid brushing up against. Then I walked over to the sand dunes, and this little girl in a bathing suit, wearing a plastic innertube around her waist, started to cry when she realized their was no water around the dunes. Colorado is suffering from an 8 year drought and most of the creek beds, including the creek that usually runs through the foreground of the dunes, are bone dry. But her clever father took her over to the shower area outside the restrooms and she was happy as a clam. Oh to be little again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home