A Colorado Summer

This summer, fresh out of college with my bachelor's degree, I took a position with the Nature Conservancy in Colorado. The internship is on a 100,000 acre cattle and bison ranch located in the San Luis Valley. The ranch is nestled between the mountains and only 15 minutes from the Sand Dunes here. It should be an interesting summer before I head off to California in search of permanent employment. Stay tuned....

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Fata Morgana

Hey All! So here is a little info on something kind of cool about the valley. They call it Fata Morgana and it is a mirage that results from a temperature inversion usually in the early morning. They are superior mirages, as opposed to inferior, so they make everything in the distance look twice as tall! It occurs because the valley is a cold sink and so the air below the level of your eyesight is colder than above. Kind of cool. Their are several books written about the valley hinting at UFO's and witchcraft (Melissa!) in part because of this phenomenon.
I have witnessed it a few times so far. The trees off in the distance look like redwoods and the town of Alamosa looks like New York City!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:36 PM, Blogger Brian Kelley said…

    Hi sweetie! That sounds really cool. I hope I get to see that when I come back this summer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home