A Colorado Summer

This summer, fresh out of college with my bachelor's degree, I took a position with the Nature Conservancy in Colorado. The internship is on a 100,000 acre cattle and bison ranch located in the San Luis Valley. The ranch is nestled between the mountains and only 15 minutes from the Sand Dunes here. It should be an interesting summer before I head off to California in search of permanent employment. Stay tuned....

Friday, May 26, 2006

The First Week

I have one week under my belt and it has been a pretty slow start. I have met a lot of interesting people though. I think ranch life in general attracts people who are easy going and friendly. A Nature Conservancy ranch attracts people really concerned about sustaining the land and biodiversity. Put together, everyone here is very down to earth and interesting so in that regard I have already learned a lot!
The ranch is an amazing landscape with mountains and sand dunes off in the distance and prairies and wetlands all around. We have deer right outside our front door each morning and last night we heard coyotes howling. The bison herd has baby calves!
I am looking forward to the next couple of weeks. Training in Boulder, cattle round up on horseback, and some hard work hopefully. This weekend I am venturing out for some hiking and photography. Both of which may be disastrous. The hiking because I am not conditioned to the altitude yet, and the pictures because I spent 2 grand on a camera with usage I have yet to master.
Ranch life is a pretty solitary existence, which takes some getting used to. It is a little frightening to be alone with all the crazy thoughts in your head as your only distraction. It will be good for me though. Maybe if I pay those thoughts some attention they will be more organized and I will have a better idea of how to accomplish all the things I want to do in life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home